The First 100 Years Exhibition
Dec 4, 2009 – Sep 25, 2010
Over a century ago in 1909, construction began on the Maeser Building, the first structure on Brigham Young University’s current campus.
That same year, BYU began its art collection with a fine painting by Utah impressionist painter John Hafen. Donated by J. William Knight, this gift inaugurated a century of art collecting at BYU and a legacy of philanthropy that has enriched the culture of the university and the community at large.
One hundred years later, the university’s art collection has grown to nearly 17,000 works housed in a handsome, state-of-the-art museum. This exhibition tells the remarkable story of the development of BYU’s art collection and displays many of the outstanding works that have been acquired over the last one hundred years.